Thursday, April 12, 2018

Don't talk yourself out of a job

I'm thinking about that guy in Office Space, the people person, who was making a mat where you could jump to conclusions.... and the Bobs didn't understand just what he was really doing at work. (I'm talking to the customers so the engineers don't have to!)

Whatever, anyway.... my boss asked me yesterday if I thought my position (theoretically) could be split in two? Divided into more practical part and one more philosophical and planning part. My answer? Why not.

I mean, of course it could. Would it be the best solution for the institution? I don't know. Would it affect me in a way that would be ideal for me personally and professionally? I don't know that either. But those were not the questions. 

When I was working at Heritage Health, what seems like a really long time ago, and our team was being more or less made into a group of useless puppets, I remember being told, "don't say that!". And "don't talk yourself out of a job"

Maybe it's because I've never been terrified of loosing my dream job (cause I've never really had it, I came very close with my last position though) but I've never felt like there was any point in making yourself seem more valuable than you feel, at work.

So we'll see. I'm not worried. I'm glad I'm not the boss.


No comments:

Post a Comment