Wednesday, October 21, 2009

About to join the wedding mania

One evening, one night and one morning. That will be all the time we spend in Santiago, at least this time around. It seems like a cool city though, so I definitly like to come back. We arrived yesterday and got a hold of Randy, who is flying in today. He basically gave us the choice of either staying in central Santiago by ourselves for a couple of days and see the city, or join him and the wedding party right away to help getting things ready for the big celebration saturday. And that´s what we decided on, that way we can get to know more people and also helping out will make us feel less like outsiders and should be fun.

So now we´re just haning out at our hostel, we just had breakfast and in about an hour we will take the subway to meet Randy who just flew in. We haven´t seen him since way back in the old Moscow days, so I´m really excited.

What sucks though, is (as always) the whole battle with US immigration and my Green Card. It just doesn´t ever end, or make sense. So we pay $70 to file the seccond part of the application, after six weeks they send us a form asking if they have my correct address. Yes, they do, so I cross the box and send it in. Another six weeks pass and they send a new form, if I want them to keep processing my case, that´s another $400. And what have they done in these almost three months...? Made sure they had my correct postal address. If it wasn´t my time and money I´d be laughing. I don´t even want to think about how much money we spent on this ordeal so far, although I kind of wish we would have kept track, cause it´s a lot. A lot more than we spend travelling for weeks in South America.

But so far there´s nothing to do but patiently wait and see what happens. As for right now I´m just going to focus on Jamie Sue´s wedding and having a good time with Randy, Juri and their families.
Problems and headaches never need an invitation to find you.

No comments:

Post a Comment