Thursday, October 8, 2009

A nice place in a dusty maze

One night in Pisco would have been enough, that´s for sure. We bargained pretty hard with the lady at the hotel, though and got two nights for the price of one so we are still here even though we were done with the boat tour (and the only appearant reason to stay here) at about 11 am. The tour was cool though, and well worth the money. We saw tons and tons of birds (pelicans, penguins, gulls etc), sea lions, crabs, sea stars and mussels. A few times the boat was stopped for a long time while the guide was pointing out something to us and everyone was snapping away on their cameras like crazy except for me and Dylan who couldn´t understand what they were looking at. When we booked the tour we were told there would be an English speaking guide, but our 70 year old guide´s English sounded an awful lot like Spanish to me. Still, I probably saw more birds today than I have before in my life, total and it was a good time.

Pisco in itself is, however a broken, dirty shithole of a city. That mostly due to two recent earthquakes and that they just haven´t had the time or money to rebuild. But walking along the streets of the very straight and square blocks you feel like the marble in one of those games where you´re supposed to tilt a board with a maze full of holes to guide the marble from start to finish without it falling into the holes. The people are mostly very nice though, we splurged a little bit for dinner today and went to an Italian place and had sallad and sea food lasanga, very tasty, and talked to the chef who told us about the city and himself and it was a very nice time. Earlier today though, Dylan wasn´t feeling so good. He still/again has an upset stomach and I headad out to find him more medicine. Walking the streets alone is way different than walking with him, that´s for sure. Mostly it´s just a lot of whistling and harmless "hola" and "Buenos tardes" but today I got this ugly teenager stalking me for blocks.

First he wanted money for food. He was being very rude and in my face and if I only knew enough Spanish I would have told him that if claiming to be hungry was going to be his way of begging he should probably slim down a little, since this was a pretty porky little pimpled faced fellow. Instead I just shook my head and tried to walk away, but he kept running after me, now grabbing his crotch and saying things I was only happy not to understand.

Tomorrow we are heading for the sand dunes of Ica. It´s supposed to be cool and it´s only an hour bus ride from here. But before that we have another night at what might actually be the nicest hotel we have stayed at so far on this trip. The room is big, clean and we have our own, also very clean bath room with fresh towels, hot water and little soaps (I love little soaps and Dylan loves to make fun of me for it). We also have a TV, which is good for my dear stomach pained companion who can watch baseball and cheesy soap operas when his tummy hurts too much to marble around these dusty streets.

As you might expect, there are a lot of bars with specials on Pisco Sour here. But both me and Dylan get the chills just thinking of having one of those any time soon. Like Dylan said "I´m not having another Pisco Sour till I get out of this country".

No comments:

Post a Comment