Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Flight of the Condors

Peruvian time is not like other time. That actually goes for all parts of South America we visited so far. So when we were told they´d pick us up at our hotel at 02:30 am we knew there was no way in hell they´d be there a seccond before 3, unless of course we actually stayed in bed in which case they would be prompt, I´m sure.
3:15 they came and it was well over 4 before we had located all the other gringos and could finally embark on our day trip to see flying condors and the Colca Canyon. It has been a long day, but worth it. The condors were really impressive as they flew back and forth over the canyon and the view points where we were standing. Part of the thrill was lost when I found out that the locals regulary throw dead animals into the canyon to make sure the birds fly and the tourists keep coming.... But it was still cool. They fly fast though, Dylan got a few decent pictures but the best ones (if he posts them on facebook) are actually photos of postcards =)

As for the canyon, it is supposed to be twice as deep as the Grand Canyon, but I don´t know.... Well, I´m sure it is but to me it looked more like a really deep valley and not what I pictured a canyon to look like. At the bottom of the canyon is Colca Village, a small village where locals live off of farming and tourists. They have a school and a doctor, but only a "natural doctor, you know, with plants and herbs" and in case of emergency "yes, then they will of course die". All according to our very informative guide.

Tomorrow we will try to buy our bus tickets to the Chilean border and I also have to do my Spanish homework since I have my seccond class tomorrow. I have already made plans for what coffee shop to go to for my studies and I´m really looking forward to it.
I´m a nerd, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment