Saturday, October 3, 2009

back in Huaraz

We just came back into civilisation and decided that after three nights on very questionable sleeping mats in not all waterproof tents, we didn´t want to jump on a night bus tonight. So we got a pretty cheap room at a really decent hotel (with TV, can´t wait to watch!! I don´t even care what´s on) and are staying in Huaraz tonight and taking a morning bus to Lima tomorrow.

The hike, though was really good. We really lucked out with the weather (it only rained the first night and a few hours last night after the tents were already set up) and the scenery was just amazing. Dylan will surely post some pictures on facebook soon. We covered about 56 km I think, and went through a pass at 4750 m. Except for some painful head aches, though we both felt fine the whole time. Hiking without gear is really a lot better than carrying all your own stuff and Dylan now thinks about buying a donkey for future Idaho backpacking.... I vote he then also hires a donkey driver to cook our food and set up our tents.

In our group was (except for the two of us, the guides and the donkey drivers) a French couple that was really quiet (I don´t even remember their names, I just refered to them as Frank and Francis), 8 Isrealis that were really nice, really slow and sang the whole time and Torunn and Travis that we don´t really like so much anymore are now kind of trying to dodge.... It´s not like we got in a fight or anything, I just decided she´s a bossy besserwisser and everytime she opened her mouth I wished she would close it again and Dylan started rolling his eyes and making comments about Scandinavians always being up someone´s ass, which is unfair...she´s Norweigan, don´t blame the rest of us. Anyway, you can´t be best friends with everybody, I guess. Especially not me who may not be the best at cutting people a break....and I know that.

Last night T&T stayed in their own tent and ate their dinner without the rest of the group while me and Dylan joined the Israelis for some Jewish holiday celebration which (in the Peruvian mountains) included eggs, cookies and a lot of singing. What really cracked me up was when they realized I was Swedish, just like Charlotte Perelli and they all started singing "Take me to your heaven" from the top of their lungs.

Out of all the people we meet, the majority is definitly either from Holland or Israel. A lot of Aussies moving around SA too, but I have yet to meet a fellow Swede.

No comments:

Post a Comment