Tuesday, September 29, 2009

We´re in Huaraz now, and I´m feeling a lot better. I was so nervous for the bus ride here, but it was fine. And the bus was a million times nicer than the one we took two nights before. There was a difference in ticket price of about a dollar and the first one was three hours late, extremly uncomfortable (I swear I was sitting on a metal rod), had no bathroom (as we covered already) and stoped every 15 minutes to pick up more people, chickens, potato sacks and God knows what else. The seccond one had seats that reclined half way to the floor, a bathroom and made no extra stops and was therefor also on time. So yeah, even though we´re trying to do this cheap... sometimes that little extra money takes you a long ways, and it´s so worth it.

Tomorrow we´re leaving for a 4 days trekking trip. Should be fun, even though I´m not exactly the most outdoorsy person, I´m very excited for this one. Dylan kind of wanted to sign up for an 8 days one... which he could have, I would have been happy hanging out in Huaraz. But we don´t really have enough time to be here that long, and when the guide showed us pictures from the hike we´re about to do, it looked really sweet and I think Dylan is pretty pumped for this as well. Also, we didn´t know this till just a few hours ago, but Torunn and Travis (the couple we met in Mancora) are signed up for the same trip and will be in our group. So that´s even better.

Today we went up to a glacier in a national park about a 3 hour drive from here. It was cool. I was very glad I spent about a $30 on a rain jacket yesterday since it was hailing, windy and freezing cold up there. The altitude was 5400 m at the highest part we climped up to and I swear I have never been so out of breath just slowly walking uphill.... the altitude really gets to you. Me and Dylan both had massive head aches and felt kind of iffy, but we still finished the climb faster than the rest of the group =) and the whole day was well worth the spectacular view and the amazing scenery.

Right now we´re just hanging out at the hostel. I´m waiting for the manager to come back to unlock the room where they have their book exchange. I´ve been dying for some new reading material. Dylan is still waiting for "the best English book ever" to get good. He´s persistent, you´ve got to hand it to him. I´ve would have given up a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment