Saturday, September 12, 2009

In Ecuador

We spent another long day riding busses yesterday. Leaving at 7 am and comming in, four busses later, at 9pm we were both pretty sick of the Colombian and Ecuadorian mountain roads. This time it was worse for Dylan though, he handled the night bus way better than me but almost puked like ten times yesterday. And when we finally made it off the last bus he left me with all our bags standing alone in the street while he ran for the closest bathroom. Empanadas and tostadas may be delicious but not always easy on the system.

But anyways, now we´re in Otavalo, famous for their huge Saturday markets, which we experienced this morning. We both got pants, hats, bracelets and warm wool shirts. I got a blouse, Dylan got roasted pig. It was a good time.

Now we´re staying at a pretty remote hostel about 4 km up in the mountains from the city. It´s pretty up there, but there is no internet or anything so this will be the last I write before we go to Quito.
So far I like South America a lot, although I really feel like I need to learn some Spanish... but even with as little as we know now, it´s really pretty easy to get around. Using a dictionary, body language and common sense, you can get a long way. I actually had to pull out the dictionary at the border passing yesterday since the officer had never heard of Sweden and looked at me like I was claiming to be from Neverland.

And people here (in general) are honest, friendly and not as fascinated with you as they were in Asia. Today we walked through a field where some kids were watching the cows and they just yelled "Hey Gringos!!" to us and waived... not like in Asia, that´s for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment