Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A look in the review mirror

Last night in Argentina, last night of this trip that started out as a sailing adventure and ended up being pretty much a bus ride through South America. I'm going home and Dylan is going to his second home. Sweden will always be home for me and I'm excited to go back and see all the people I said good bye to before the summer started. But I am also very excited to soon be back in the US and start building a new home, with Dylan - finally.

Anyways, looking back on this trip, it's been a ride. Good and bad, fun and boring, safe and not so safe, well planned and totally spur of the moment.

Most boring: All the waiting, for and on buses, endless days with nothing to do in Punta Arenas, waiting for this damn Green Card.

Funniest: Probably when Dylan squirted himself in the face with bide water. He was afraid he'd get pink eye, I laughed so hard I almost had to use the bide myself.

Best place: Mendoza or Rosario, love Argentina.

Worst experience: The guys trying to rip us of and the night at the police station in Lima. For Dylan probably also the food poisoning that followed, for me the food poisoning on the night bus from Mancora to Truhillo is still a vivid memory.

Most over the top: Jaime and Feliepe's wedding. So much fun, so many people, so out of this world.

Most windy: Punta Arenas, seriously I still don't understand how people can actually live there.

Best dog: Ljuiba, we miss our little foster puppy.

Best troopers: Randy's grandparents who threw a kick ass BBQ and stayed up till 5 am with the youngsters.

Best purchase: the blanket we bought two days after we landed in Colombia and have kept with us throughout the trip and used almost every night. Throwing it away tomorrow, though.

Worst purchase: the clay pitcher Dylan bought in Peru, kept in his carry on and didn't even unwrap before it broke in Chile.

Best/worst gifts: for Christmas Dylan gave me a seafood dinner at a fancy restaurant and for my birthday I got a cat. Very excited for both of these gifts, have yet to see them though.

Worst updated border crossing: Ecuador, they had never heard of Sweden and looked at me and my passport like I was claiming to be from Neverland.

Most unexpected: the guy recognizing Dylan from SFI in Umea at a bar in Rosario, Argentina.

Most optimistic: Gary about his boat - as far as we know he has still to leave the US.

Best birthday: Mariah's in NYC before we left.

Can't think of any more ones.... Today we spent walking around the Buenos Aires zoo (which was cool but not spectacular) and soon we are going to dinner with Tom. Next time I write I will be in Sweden and unless anyone would mind (and maybe even still) I will soon go back to writing in Swedish. Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment