Monday, December 7, 2009

Squeezed in at the office

Dylan called and talked to people at the immigration office this morning. What’s positive in this big pile of crap is that now, having waited so long and paid so much money, we actually get to talk to people when we call. It used to be answering machines, or at best, people at the wrong office who had no idea who we were or where our case file might be. This morning we got a lady who actually knew her job and explained to us what all was missing from our file. It still feels a long ways away and like we have a lot more hoops to jump through, but, it’s not completely impossible that we might actually get to live in the same country one day, both being able to work. Imagine that.

Dylan decided to stay home today, organizing our paper work and trying to make sure we had copies of all the right stuff. I’m lucky he still has energy to do this; my brain starts over heating just thinking about it.

So I went to the Nòmadas office, where we “work” now, explaining that he had to wait by the phone expecting a very important phone call from the US . I’m working on a press release that should go out this week if I can get their contact lists in order. Non-profits are great, but working for them you have to have a lot of patience as most things are so un-organized they make me feel like the office rain-man.

Tomorrow is a catholic holiday so the office will be closed. I think it’s virgin Mary’s day or something of the sort. I don’t really care, but I will try and think some catholic thoughts. In Sweden, this would have been a "klämdag" a squeeze day, which is a work day squeezed in between two days off. Nobody likes to be squeezed, not even days, so we always let them off. I have tried to explain this concept to both Americans and Chileans, and while they all seem to think it's a great invention, I don't think they quite understand how percectly logical it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment