Sunday, December 20, 2009

time alone, together & apart

My weekend that was to spent all alone has so far presented itself with a surprising amount of company. Friday I went into the office for a few hours, and then ended up having dinner with Dave and Paulina, two of the people who work there and live in the house where Nómadas throw all their little slaves together. We made tacos and I think it was good to get to hang out outside the office and get to know each other a little better. I have so far been under the impression that Paulina doesn’t like me much, but the other night we were talking and now maybe we can chat a little in the office too, which would be nice.

Yesterday I worked at the Hotel. It was slow and peaceful as usual, untill the end of my shift when Pamela (I guess she’s kind of my boss since she’s the only one who knows a little English and therefor the one I take orders from) came in with her son. He was a 24-year old psychology student, just home from the university in Santiago and he spoke English. Pamela made us tea and we sat and talked for about an hour. Afterwards I felt like he had crawled into my brain and taken a big dump. Maybe he was just playing some reversed mind game that is supposed to make people feel 100% unpleasant, but if not I feel truly sorry for whoever is going to seek counseling from him in the future.
It’s hard to pinpoint exactely what it was that made the conversation so disturbing. For example, he asked about my favourite movies, but by stating “Titanic is the best movie ever, yes?” And when I said “you, think so?” he just smiled this freaking anoying smile and said “no, but this is not about me.”
He asked if my face got red or if I got very sweaty when I exercised. He said, not asked, said that my dream job was to be a secretary. And it went on and on. Every time I tried to make the conversation a dialouge instead on an interrogation, he just dodged my question and threw it back in my face.

It was like he was really trying to piss me off, and he certainly did, I just don’t know why. And I really like Pamela, she is the sweetest lady ever who always makes me tea and brings me snacks and refers to everyone as her little angels. So I didn’t want to get in an argument with her son where I would not doubt end calling him an asshole or something worse.

So when I was walking back to the house, I was really looking forward to a night all by myself. But as I’m in the backyard watering the grass, this random guy appears from the house where I live and says “Hello, my name is Jorge and I will be sleeping here tonight” I was definitly surprised, but he had keys for the house and explained he was Feliepe’s friend who was in town for buisness and had an early flight to catch in the morning and Feliepe had offered him to sleep in our (well, his) house. So, instead of quality time with me, I got to learn about slaughter houses (Jorge and Feliepe both work in the meat buisness), family companies and the pressure of being a young boss. Since Pamela had brought me dinner to take home and eat, I just told Jorge to help himself to whatever he wanted in the kitchen and opened a random, cheap bottle of wine. He made a sandwich and then told me he dreamt about opening his own restaurant and that food and wine were his biggest passions in life....”well, you’re welcome for the sandwich and the 4 dollar wine” I said and felt like an excellent hostess.

He was nice though, and it’s always interesting to hear about worlds that are so different from your own.

Today, I am actually alone so far. I plan on taking a walk to the one mall that’s open on Sundays and look for some presents. Dylan and Randy should be back tomorrow. I hope they’re having a good time. I know I said spending a few days apart would be good for me and D, and it probably is. But I was ready for him to come back Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment