Sunday, January 3, 2010

back from hiking

We ended up cutting our hiking trip a day short and came back to Pta. Arenas last night. Having good gear when hiking I suppose can be the difference between being miserable and somewhat comfortable, but it doesn't change the weather. We had decent gear and could have done another day of rain and wind, but since we couldn't see any of the famous views for all the clouds and fog we decided to just go back rather than paying another night's worth of camping and rent for the gear. It's still been a good trip though. Pretty expensive for a national park (although, being Swedish I can never get used to paying an entrance fee to nature) but a lot cleaner and better managed than the park in Peru.

New Year's Eve we celebrated at the Refugio Las Torres where Randy (working as a guide) was staying with his group. A fairly small but happy crowd of mainly Germans and Chileans, dancing in their hiking pants, what more could one ask for? Last year I missed the count down since I was working at the restaurant and was in the kitchen dropping off dishes at midnight. This year I counted down with the rest of party, except for Dylan who was in the bathroom.

So now I hope we are looking at no more than a week before we're out of here. Hopefully going up north to be able to enjoy some summer before flying back home. I mean it's summer here, but I have yet to see one person wearing shorts. On a really hot day you can take your jacket off and if you're standing out of the wind be comfortable. But that's a hot day.

No comments:

Post a Comment